Warning: ksort() expects parameter 1 to be array, object given in /home/bypass/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/core/template-functions.php on line 316
The Day Of My Gastric Bypass Surgery-After The Surgery |

The Day of my Gastric Bypass Surgery-After the Surgery

index So I woke up in my room about three hours after surgery I barely remember seeing my family around me, it is the lovely effects of the anesthesia you are given during surgery. My actual surgery was at 8:30 am and I first opened my eyes around 11:30 am that I remember, and I spent the rest of the afternoon in and out of consciousness until around 3:00 pm. Around that time they decided it would be good for me to try to walk the halls and see how I could do. At this moment I have to tell you I was so scared how painful it would be, especially trying to get out of bed.  The truth is they have really good pain meds going through you so YES it was uncomfortable in the incision areas, but it was not unbearable. The hardest part was trying to stay awake enough to get out of bed to go for a walk.

Once out in the hallway the best way I can describe it is it was like the fog was clearing from my head and I actually felt good, I did one lap around and thought heck let’s go for another round and the nurses were surprised and quite impressed. The most important process of your stay in the hospital and afterwards is walking, this is important because during surgery they blow up your stomach with CO2 gasses and those gasses are trapped in your body, and walking is about the only thing that will help this to escape. So yes warn your family members prior to surgery that you will be a belching and farting nightmare for awhile as your body starts to push out all those gases, but trust me each fart and burp is like heaven to you.

1554440_10203204425605724_290054763505415990_n The next thing they will get you work on is using your spirometer this is super important and this is going to help prevent you from having pneumonia after surgery. While my respiratory nurse actually never saw me or told me how often to use this we used it every two hours and my doctor came in the day after and said NO every hour you are awake you need to be using your spirometer. This is also something you will take home with you and you will continue to you during your recovery process, do not forget to stay on top of this so you do not get pneumonia.

During your first day you most likely will not have any fluids or anything to do drink, as matter fact the best I could get was a moist sponge on a stick to moisten my teeth. Even that the nurse will watch closely because they do no want you to get alot of liquids in quite yet. You may also be able to get ice chips but I was warned that they could actually hurt in the pouch, and at first it did kind of sting but a couple hours of later I was able to get around 4-5 ice chips down. The reason they do not want you having fluids is that they want to make sure that the new connection they created between your pouch and your intestines is sealed properly before you can be on a fluid diet.

Pretty much the rest of your day is spent resting and walking and sleeping as often as possible. The next morning before anything else we had a blood draw from the lab, and then shortly after we had to go to radiology to get a GI test done. A GI test is that they use to see if you have a leak on that new connection, if it is shows you are fine with no leak you will be able to have jello and water and juice, broth and Popsicle when you get back. Now the GI tests is  not fun and I am not going to lie to you, it does not hurt but you have to drink around 2 ounces of this disgusting liquid a contrast for the test. The other bad thing is you have to drink it quickly even though we have been told to take tiny sips with this test you need to drink it rather quickly. So just prepared that the contrast liquid will taste awful it kind of has a copper flavor to it, then afterwards they will have you stand up behind a X-ray screen and they will take a few X-rays of your chest area and you are done and heading back up to your room.

As long as your GI test went well you can look forward to a diet of jello, chicken and beef broth, and unsweetened apple or cranberry juice and you are also allowed to have Popsicle as a snack.  I wish I had gotten a photo of how small the samples are on your tray it consisted of 2 ounces of juice, 1 ounce of jello and 3 ounces of broth and they wanted you to get all down. There was no way I was able to get the juice down and about a third of the broth and that was it I was overflowing and so full, so listen to your body and don’t go over. A few hours later I got a Popsicle it was one of those red, white and blue ones and to give you and idea of how much less you eat I was only able to eat the red part only on the Popsicle. Later on in afternoon I was able to eat the red and white part but it took a long time to get much down.

After keeping my fluids down and not being in much pain I was able to discharged from the hospital on the next day after surgery in the evening, your doctor and hospital may vary. Just remember the most important thing to remember is take it slow, keep hydrated and sleep that is the best medicine I can offer to you on your journey. Below I will share with you a photo of two of my incisions now mind you these are 6 days past surgery but you will have five incision marks after surgery, please do not scroll down if you do not like to look at things like this but I know alot of people are curious so I figured I would share my ugly belly with you lol.



Related posts:

About Angie

Single Mom of two girls on a journey to get healthy by losing weight and learning to love herself again!

Speak Your Mind


CommentLuv badge

 Powered by Max Banner Ads